Win A Chocolonely Bundle
Crazy About Chocolate. Serious About People. That's the guiding principle behind Tony Chocolonely, a brand that is dedicated to producing 100% slave free chocolate - and all of it delicious!
The Prize: 3 x 180gms bars
- milk chocolate 32%
- milk caramel sea salt 32%
- extra dark chocolate 70%
Tony Chocolonely's aim is for everybody in their supply chain to be happy with thier chocolate, from the farmer and his children to the consumer who buys the chocolate. They lead by example as a commercially successful company to show the world chocolate can be made differently and without the use of modern slavery or exploitation. Did we mention it tastes delicious!?
Tony’s roadmap to 100% slave free chocolate
"Together we make 100% slave free the norm in chocolate. Not just our chocolate, but for all chocolate worldwide. To help us get there we have created a roadmap that outlines our long-term goals. Every year we take (small and large) steps that move us towards these goals."
- We believe in empowering cocoa farmers and people in cocoa communities with a certain level of consciousness about what is and isn't allowed. It’s fine for children to help out on the farm after school and learn about how cocoa is grown, but it's important that farmers and communities know where to draw the line. They need to understand that certain types of work, such as heavy lifting, are harmful to children. Cooperatives have to do their part in taking responsibility to combat illegal child labour.
- We want all choco fans to be aware of the inequality in the chocolate industry. If retailers and choco fans actively demand slave-free chocolate, chocolate companies will need to listen and make that happen. The more people know what's going on and choose to join us in our mission to change the industry, the sooner we'll make all chocolate 100% slave free.
- We aim for everybody in our supply chain to be happy with our chocolate, from the farmer and his children to the consumer who buys the chocolate. We lead by example as a commercially successful company to show the world chocolate can be made differently and without the use of modern slavery or exploitation.
- We invest in long-term partnerships with farmer cooperatives and help them professionalise. We pay cocoa farmers a higher price and invest in agricultural knowledge and training to help them improve productivity on their farms so they can earn a decent income. And last but not least, we make chocolate with traceable cocoa.
- We inspire other key players to take action and are actively seeking partners who would be interested in applying our model. We do this by showing the impact we’re making, sharing lessons we’ve learned and by always being open to a good conversation.. while enjoying a piece of chocolate of course! We’re very critical of our own efforts and are constantly challenging ourselves to find ways to have more impact. We’re always happy to follow good examples set by others, such as the CLMRS. We maintain an ongoing dialogue with politicians, NGOs and academia to increase the pressure on the industry to adopt our 5 sourcing principles for slave-free cocoa.